Rugby League: That’s The Way It Was. History of the Rugby League Challenge Cup
On the 20th of March, 1897, 20 Rugby League matches were played in the North of England.
Amongst the results that day, Hunslet defeated the amateur Brighton Recreation by 75 to 5 – whilst Leigh and Wakefield Trinity played out a nil all draw.
It was the beginning of a competition that would bring agony and ecstasy to Rugby League supporters. It was the beginning of a competition that would create heroes and villains. It was the beginning of the English Rugby League Challenge Cup.
One hundred and twenty four years later, the English Challenge Cup is the second longest running competition in the history of Rugby League.
Author and historian, Graham Morris joins us to tell this evergreen story.
- Graham Morris is the author of a number of Rugby League books including “Destination Wembley : The History of the Rugby League Challenge Cup Final”
- Stephen Nedeljkovic – Red Star Belgrade https://www.rlkcrvenazvezda.com
- Neil Ormston – The Rugby League Record Keepers Club. Rugbyleaguerecords.com
- Rugby League Project https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/
- Abide With Me sung by Lizzie Jones and a crowd of 80,140 supporters. Wembley 2015 Final. Hull KR Vs Leeds.